Welcome to 2016. Happy New Year.
When I awoke this morning the sun was bright and I felt a glimpse of hope and assurance and warmth. However, the grey overcast has rolled in and everything is cast of shadows of grey and cold.
Hopefully the sun and warmth will come back.
I ran 6.2 miles yesterday, on New Years Eve. My goal was to go for 5 miles but my ego wanted to finish out the year and month with a 10K. My total time was 1:01:00 for an average pace of 9:49. Not too bad for an overweight old man on a cold blustery New Years eve.
And, it is hard to image that on June 22, 2015, just over six months ago, I could hardly run for 90 seconds at a time. At that time, I couldn’t image running a 10K.
I was asked what are my resolutions for Twenty Sixteen. I thought I would list them here. Maybe on December 31, 2016 we can look back and see how successful I am in following through.
- Write a short story.
- Lose weight to the 155 pound goal
- Run 2 mini marathons and maybe a third
- Run in a staged event every month
- Continue working on new drip paintings
That would pretty much conclude the list. I know it isn’t extensive but it’s good enough for me. Of course, I will continue to work on other things that could be put on the list.
- Pay down the debt load … I paid off two loans this year (the boat and Jacob’s dental work but still have much more debt.
- Keep a better attitude at work … I can’t pay down the debt if I don’t have a job so I better start watching my attitude and mouth before they show me the door.
- Stay out of the crippling depression … which mingles its tentacles throughout my bad attitude at work.
- Keep running and exercising, maybe going back to the gym for resistance training … exercise certainly does help the bad attitudes.
- Maybe jump into a Zumba or Cross Fit class … that would be fun!
- Brush my teeth every day (I do that anyways but just wanted to mention it)
- Buy new running shoes.
Hopefully I will start Twenty Sixteen with a run. But, last night’s celebration is still with me. I suppose if I was a real runner I wouldn’t have indulged in last night’s celebration and would be reporting a new PR in a New Year’s Resolution Run and posting swag photos. I suppose that is why I’m not a real runner.
But, anyways, I sending new year wishes to everyone for a blessed, improving and progressing Twenty Sixteen.